Proper prep and after care is vital
The result and longevity of your tan is 50% the skill of your artist and 50% your prep and after care habits. Let's see how to maintain that flawless glow!
How to prep for a spray tan?
- Shower and exfoliate from head to toe (especially areas that tend to be dry) the evening prior to your session
- Any hair removal (if applicable) is to be done 24-48 hours prior to your spray tan
- We recommend avoiding the use of retinol and/or salicylic acid products for 1 week prior to your tan session
- Any beauty appointments including: facials, mani/pedis, lash fills, etc should be completed PRIOR to your tan appointment and not on the same day. *Pedis are especially important to complete on a day BEFORE your tan appointment due to the oils/exfoliation during treatment.
TIPS for perfect prep:
- Exfoliate using a rough scrub and/or a washcloth with warm water
- Don't forget to exfoliate face neck, elbows, knees, hands, and ankles
- If you find an older spray tan is still holding on - have a bath and soak prior to completion your exfoliation
- Do be sure to hydrate by drinking water and applying a thin layer of your favourite body hydration product right after your exfoliation but REMEMBER: NO LOTION THE DAY OF YOUR TAN SESSION.
DAY OF TAN SESSION
- Rinse at least 4 hours prior to your tan session. If you are not able to, please do not shower within 4 hours of coming this creates open pores on the skin making for less than ideal application
- Please come to your appointment without any lotions, oils, or makeup on the skin. We will provide you with a wipe if you need to remove a small amount of makeup or deodorant prior to your tan session
- Wear or bring loose fitting dark clothing for after your tan session. Our solutions are water soluble but we do recommend darker clothing just in case.
How to maintain your spray tan for lasting results?
- Avoid all sources of water during your processing time (before your initial rinse)
- Plan to relax (physically demanding tasks that may make you sweat etc) until after your initial rinse
- Do not wax or exfoliate following your spray tan application
- Moisturize twice daily and hydrate from the inside out with H20. Our Beauty Oil or Body Silk are wonderful options.
- Avoid excessive use of chlorine pools and hot tubs for longevity of your tan
- Always use SPF protection to avoid damaging your skin
- You can use our organic rose water Tan Spritz to revive the fading tan on your face or other areas on the body or to boost the colour. It is a client favourite!!
- DO NOT use Dove products or any harsh soaps with alcohol as a high ingredient
- Avoid working out for 24 hours following your spray tan session
- When you see an area of your tan coming off, gently begin exfoliating to remove and prep skin for next session